A chronological table of Hosei University

The history of Hosei University dates back to 1880 when Tokyo Hogakusha or Tokyo School of Law was founded. In 1883, Dr. Gustave Emile Boissonade of the University of Paris, who had been invited by the Japanese Government as a juridical advisor, assumed the post of Director. Hosei University became a private university in 1920 in accordance with the promulgation of the University Order that permitted the establishment of private universities. At that time, the Faculty of Law and the Faculty of Economics were created, and since then Hosei University has continued to expand its academic programs in a variety of fields.

1880 Tokyo Hogakusha was founded by non-governmental lawyers including Magane KANAMARU, Osamu ITO, and Masakuni SATTA, in Surugadai, in the center of Tokyo.
1881 Law Department was spun off from Tokyo Hogakusha and becomes TokyoSchool of Law.
1883
Dr. Gustave Emile Boissonade (agrege) of the University of Paris, who had been invited the Japanese Government as a legal expert, assumed the post of Director.
1886
Tokyo Futsu Gakko or Tokyo School of French Studies was established.
1889 Tokyo School of Law merged with Tokyo School of French Studies became Wafutsu Horitsu Gakko or the Tokyo School of Japanese and French Law, to advance academic culture based on freedom and innovation.
1903 Tokyo School of Japanese and French Law was renamed as the Tokyo School of Japanese and French Law/Hosei University. Dr. Kenjiro UME, known as the “father of the Japanese Civil Law” became the first president.
1920 Pursuant to the University Order, which permitted the establishment of private universities. Tokyo School of Japanese and French Law/Hosei University became Hosei University. The Faculty of Law and the Faculty of Economics were established.
1921
Hosei University was moved to a new school building in Fujimicho, Kojimachi Ward (its present location).
1922 Literature Department and Philosophy Department were established in the Faculty of Law, and its name was changed to the Faculty of Law and Literature.
1944 Hosei University Aviation Industry Technical School was founded, the predecessor of Faculty of Engineering.
1947 The Faculty of Law and Literature was separated into the Faculty of Law and the Faculty of Literature. With the Faculty of Economics, Hosei University now had three faculties.
Correspondence courses started in July.
1949 In line with the School Education Law, Hosei University was reorganized based on the new university system.
1950 Faculty of Engineering was established.
1951 In accordance with the Private School Law, Hosei University became a legally-recognized private university. Graduate School was established.
1952 Faculty of Social Sciences was established.
1959
Faculty of Business Administration was established.
1965 Graduate School of Engineering was established.
1980 Hosei University celebrated its centennial.
1984 Tama Campus was completed.
1993 Faculty of Engineering was reorganized into eight departments.
1999 Faculty of Intercultural Communication and Sustainability Studies was established.
Hosei University obtained ISO14001 certification.
2000 Faculty of Social Policy and Administration, Faculty of Computer and Information Sciences was established.
2003 Faculty of Life-long Learning and Career Studies was established.
International Japanology Research Center was created in the Graduate School.
2004 Law School was established. Business School of Innovation Management was established.
2005 Sports Science Institute (SSI) was created. Graduate School of Arts and Technology was set up.
2006
Department of Frontier Bioscience was created in the Faculty of Engineering. Institute for Global and Interdisciplinary Studies was open.
2007 Faculty of Engineering and Design was established.
2008 Faculty of Science and Engineering, Faculty of Bioscience and Applied Chemistry were set up at Koganei.
Faculty of Global and Interdisciplinary Studies was established at Ichigaya.
Hosei Graduate School of Regional Policy Design was set up.
2009 Faculty of Sports and Health Studies was established.
2010 The Faculty of Social Policy and Administration Department of Social Policy and Administration was reorganized into the 2 departments of the Social Community Department and Major in Clinical Psychology.
The Major in Global and Asian Politics was established in the Graduate School of Politics.
The Major in Frontier Bioscience was established in the Graduate School of Engineering.

The Graduate School of Engineering and Design was established by reorganizing and integrating the Graduate School of Engineering's Major in Civil Engineering and Architecture and the Graduate School of Art and Technology.

PAGE TOP